Saturday, June 23, 2007

Football? Hockey? What do I do?

Just an update (no pictures for this one). But this weekend was tryouts for the local hockey travel team. I knew Brandon wasn't going to be able to play on this team for several reasons, the first being that it costs $2,400 just to join, not including at least $200 for uniform as well as the travel costs, but also because he's playing freshman football this year and the schedules of these two teams conflict.

Well, I was getting a lot of pressure from the coaches (even one who came to a game to scout three other players, but noticed Brandon) to let him play on the team, so I let him try out and much to my chagrin, he actually made the team (why am I surprised - considering all the attention he was getting?)

Well, he's resigned to the fact that he needs to play on the football team (because mom says so - hey, it'll be good for him socially, which will be a huge part of high school), but . . . when football is over, if there's still a spot on the team, the coach is going to let him play (pro-rated of course). And another friend on the team said they signed one player short - as if to say they held a spot for him. But at least for now, he's just happy to be able to say he made the team - and I'm okay with him blaming me for him not actually signing on.

So with football, hockey, golf and now surfing, I really need to win the lotto!!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Rose said...

That made me smile. Brandon is such a JOCK. I am so proud of him. I seriously think he is such a good hockey player that he could go pro! But the athlete that he (and Brain) is, he could go pro in probably anything. I am being honest here Marie, I brag about your boys all the time, you have two of the most amazing kids. Whether they go pro or not, they have their personalities to fall back on...they are sweet boys - don't tell them that...that word probably does not go well with teenagers (sweet). Your boys remind me of my dad - that says alot! Way to go Brandon, you get to have your cake (football) and eat it too (hockey)...you go BOY!