Sunday, November 18, 2007

Baby hammies - watching them grow . . .

Okay, it's now January, and I haven't had the heart to continue with these posts. Unfortunately, none of the hammies survived. For whatever reason, Teddy moved them to the top of the cage and packed it so tightly with bedding, that my best guest is that they suffocated or that she couldn't nurse them because there wasn't enough room. Either way, I was completely heartbroken and couldn't continue with these posts. But such is nature and we have to move on.
November 25, 2007
The babies are 9 days old. I probably shouldn't have done this (I hear it's bad to disturb the nest and get our scent on the babies), but I just had to clean out the cage. It smelled to high heaven. So Mommy Teddy ran around in her ball and I gently scooped her babies into a pan. We found out that we have only 7 babies, not 8 like we originally thought. They're getting more fur and are moving around a lot more. And as much fun as it was to be able to see them close up, we were heartbroken to find out we had a runt who is missing a back leg and is in very bad shape. I honestly don't think he'll make it to the end of the week, but I put him back in the cage to try to give him a fighting chance.
The runt is the one to the far left. Brian is heartbroken for him and wants to take him to a vet to see if they can help him. That reminds me of when Brandon was about 10 and his hamster developed a growth (the hamster was older when it happend) and he also wanted to take him to the vet. I had to explain that we couldn't spend the $50 (I'm guessing) or more in vet fees on a $7.00 animal (that's what we paid back then) that was nearing the end of his very short life. What can I say? My boys love their pets. We even get upset when a fish goes to visit King Neptune.

Who snuck this picture in?
*******************
November 22, 2007
We haven't seen the babies in a few days. Teddy's been a protective mommy and has been keeping them warm and hidden in her nest. But yesterday, they were 6 days old and she let us take a peek. They're already starting to grow fur and have gone from pink to brown.



**********
November 18, 2007
Day Two - still pink, bald, and blind. But moving much more and
yiping when mommy leaves their sides. **********
November 17, 2007.
Day one - pink, bald, blind and barely moving:

1 comment:

Elizabeth Rose said...

oh my gosh, the hamsters are cute...but that little boy is way, way too cute...tell Brian that Aunt Kellie said to fight off all the girls bravely...I am sure with that sweet, handsome face he has a line up of them. That picture of him made my day!