Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Love those Brits!

Okay, we have a new cable company and so while I'm trying to learn the new channels for my favorite shows, I've discovered some new shows. Well, they're new to me. Apparently, as I've been told, they're running on regular TV, like Dating in the Dark on Channel 11. I guess that trash is just more appealing to me on cable! But anyhow, I've discovered the BBC channel. They have a show called "How Clean is your House? And I'm hooked. The homes they show are complete pig stys - one kid had some kind of casings from a carpet beatle all over his dirty clothes on the floor. Yuck!

Well, the point of this post is that they had some mix of apple cider vinegard and something else to make your bathroom shine. I couldn't find the recipe on the show's site, but did find the following helpful hint on www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/cleaning-with-vinegar.html. I might try this. I do like to move away from the chemicals as much as possible (I won't even use chemicals to fight an ant invasion - knock on wood we have only had one in the 8 years we've lived here!).

Kitchen Cutting Boards and Countertops – Cleaning with Vinegar

The best way to sanitize kitchen food preparation surfaces such as countertops and wood cutting boards is to use the following vinegar and hydrogen peroxide germ-killing combo:

Using a spray bottle, apply undiluted apple cider vinegar or white vinegar to the kitchen surface to be cleaned.

Then immediately spray the same area with 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (available in all drugstores) from another spray bottle.

Wipe the area clean or rinse with water.

According to Susan Sumner, a food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, it does not matter whether you spray the vinegar before or after the hydrogen peroxide, the effect is the same, it kills virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. Coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food preparation surfaces.

She also found that using both sprays was 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than chlorine bleach and all other commercially available kitchen cleaners.

The vinegar / hydrogen peroxide sprays also work well to clean meats, fruits and vegetables of disease-causing germs.

Reference:
Science News Online – Food for Thought – 9/28/96

No comments: