Tuesday, August 11, 2009

We all learned something

Took the boys back-to-school shopping on Sunday. I learned that my boys do understand the value of a dollar and can, when asked, spend their money wisely.

Last year, my mother took Brandon back-to-school shopping and she literally spent over $700 on him alone (Brian got his share although he wasn't able to join us for some reason).

This year my mother again promised Brandon that she would take him shopping, but she could not afford to spend as much as she did last year. She had $300 for each boy. We put the cash in envelopes with their names on them and let them make their own decisions. Surprisingly, they did a great job checking prices, watching sales and not buying "just because."

Brandon came home with 9 shirts, 3 jeans, shoes, a backpack and school supplies. Brian came home with 8 shirts, 3 jeans, shoes, a backpack, school supplies and a hat. They both had around $10 left over. Given that most of the clothes were skate board name brands, they did a good job because the jeans alone can run $50 and more if you're not careful.

I'm proud of them for understanding that everyone's in an economic pinch and making the most of what was given to them.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Rose said...

You guys are such good parents...I love to learn ways to teach my kids things from you. I am proud of them too...I LOVE your boys!